Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Oglala Lakota College Woksape Tipi Library
Physical Address: 3 Mile Creek Rd Kyle, SD 57752
Mailing Address: PO Box 310 Kyle, SD 57752
Always a good way to start looking for information
You can use book subject headings to find additional resources on the same topic
Thesaurus - browse for more subject terms
AND (limits search -fewer results)
OR (expands search)
NOT (keeps a word from appearing in results)
Advocacy Beneficence Case Management Confidentiality Diversity Empathy
- Use and combine keywords and phrases
- Use Truncation (*) for root words
- use broader terms
- use boolean terms (AND,OR,NOT)
- Use tabs or search suggestions to find new terms
- Keep It Simple
- Gradually add search terms
- Use words that websites would use (ex: I need to write a resume - Resume Help OR Resume Tips)
- Use important words only (instead of a sentence - try keywords)
- Want the latest - can limit by search by time (under Tools on google)
Journal of Studies of Alcohol and Drugs
This multidisciplinary journal publishes research on all aspects of the use of, abuse of, and dependence on alcohol, illicit substances, and inhalants; tobacco use and dependence; and the misuse of prescription medication.
Evaluating Sources: The CRAAP test
CRAAP = Currency, Relevance, Authority, Accuracy, and Purpose.
Currency: the timeliness of the information
- When was the information published or posted?
- Has the information been revised or updated?
Relevance: the importance of the information for your needs
- Does the information relate to your topic or answer your question?
- Who is the intended audience?
Authority: the source of the information
- Who is the author/publisher/source/sponsor?
- What are the author's qualifications /credentials to write on the topic?
- Does the URL reveal anything about the author or source?
- .com (commercial), .edu (educational), .gov (U.S. government)
- .org (nonprofit organization), or
- .net (network)
Accuracy: the reliability, truthfulness, and correctness of the content
- Is the information supported by evidence?
- Has the information been reviewed or refereed?
- Are there spelling, grammar, or other typographical errors?
Purpose: the reason the information exists
- What is the purpose of the information? to inform? teach? sell? entertain? persuade?
- Is the information fact? opinion? propaganda? objective and impartial?
- Are there political, ideological, cultural, religious, institutional, or personal biases?